Examples of unforeseen circumstances:
(1) You have been in F-1/J-1 status for one full academic year;
(2) You are in good standing as a student;
(3) You are carrying a full course of study;
(4) Acceptance of employment will not interfere with your carrying a full course of study;
(5) The employment is necessary to avoid severe economic hardship due to unforeseen circumstances beyond your control; and
(6) On-campus employment is unavailable or is not sufficient to meet the needs that have arisen due to the unforeseen circumstances.
How to Apply:
Now you can apply for employment authorization with USCIS online. You must create an account at my.USCIS.gov before you can do so. Before you apply online, please complete all the following and make an appointment with your DSO to review all information. Your DSO will recommend your application in SEVIS and send you the updated I-20.