Apply for U.S. Visa

Once you receive your immigration packet from TCSPP, you will need to obtain a F-1/J-1 visa at a U.S. Consulate or Embassy to enter the United States. In order to obtain your F-1/J-1 visa, you will need to make an appointment at the local U.S. Consulate in your home country. The waiting time​ for an interview can vary, so make your appointment as soon as possible.

*Note - Canadian Citizens: You must pay the SEVIS fee​​, although you do not need to apply for a F-1/J-1 visa. Canadian students are exempt from the visa requirement, although they will be considered in F-1 or J-1 status when they enter the U.S. with their I-20 or DS-2019.

During the student visa interview, all applicants must provide documentation, such as:

Visa Application
• Visa Fee Receipt: A MRV fee receipt to show payment of the visa application fee and a visa issuance fee (if applicable). All applicants, including dependents, must pay the MRV fee. 
• SEVIS Form I-20 from The Chicago School

• SEVIS Fee Receipt: After receiving your I-20/DS-2019, go online and pay the SEVIS Fee I-901.  You can pay this fee at Dependents do not need to pay this fee. Watch this video tutorial to learn more about how to pay the I-901 SEVIS Fee.

• Valid passport for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond the applicant's intended period of stay in the United States

One (1) 2x2 photograph

The information listed above is not an exhaustive list. Please always check the Department of State's website before your interview.

Helpful Links:
Study in the States

NAFSA: 10 Points to Remember When Applying for a Nonimmigrant Visa​​

Know Before You Visit​

Contact Us

Office of International Programs
​(800) 595-6938​​, Option 6