Page Viewer

Students living in the U.S. with a status other than F-1 or J-1

Students living in the U.S. with a status other than F-1 or J-1

If you are living in the U.S. in a nonimmigration status other than F-1 or J-1, you are still considered an international student at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology.  Along with immigration advising, the Office of International Student Services is here help all students with cultural, adjustment, and other various international students needs.

Please note that we are not immigration lawyers.  We can advise students on F-1 or J-1 issues, however, we are not able to advise students on other immigration matters.  If you are having immigration issues, please let us know and we will do our best to refer you to an immigration attorney and/or other immigration resources.

Enrollment Eligibility

Not all non-immigrants living in the U.S. are eligible to enroll in school. It is the student's responsibility to know and understand the terms of their own status. Choosing to study under an ineligible status is considered a violation of status and can lead to future immigration disciplinary actions.

In order to assist students, below is a chart of immigrant statuses and their enrollment eligibility.  If you see that your current status does not enable you to enroll in school, you need to contact your campus Immigration Advisor and discuss options for changing your status. 

Immigration Status

"Student at Large" (SAL)

Degree Seeking Students

Students in "Low Residency" Programs

F-1 (International Student)

Generally Cannot Enroll.  Exceptions may be made for concurrent enrollment, post-completion OPT, or otherwise pre-approved by your campus immigration advisor

Can enroll, will need I-20 immigration form for enrollment.

Can Enroll. Needs I-20 for duration of residency

F-2 (Dependent of an International Student)

Cannot Enroll

Can enroll part time study with TCSPP

Can enroll part time for the during of the F2 status

J-1 (Exchange or Sponsored Student)

May be able to enroll, depending on their purpose of study.  Student will need a DS-2019 issued from their immigration advisor.

Can Enroll. Whether or not a student can enroll full-time will depend on their purpose of study.  Student will need a DS-2019 issued from their immigration advisor.

Cannot Enroll

J-1 (Aupair)

Can enroll

Can enroll, but only part-time.

Can enroll, but only part-time.

J-1 (Scholar)

Can enroll

Cannot enroll in a degree-seeking program.

Cannot enroll in a degree-seeking program.

J-2 (Dependent of J-1)

Can enroll

Can enroll

Can enroll

B-1 and B-2 (Visitor Visa)

Cannot Enroll

Cannot Enroll

Cannot Enroll

Worker visas: H-1B, TN, R-1, Q visa, P visa, O visa,  G-visa, E-visa,

Can enroll

Can enroll, but should talk with their immigration advisor before beginning any internships or practicum.

Can enroll, but should talk with their immigration advisor before beginning any internships or practicum.

Dependent of a Worker: H-4, TD, R-2, Q visa, P visa, O visa, G visa, E visa

Can enroll

Permanent Resident, Pending Permanent Resident, Refugee, Asylee, Temporary Protective Status, T visa holder, U visa holder, K visa holder, S visa holder, etc.

Can enroll

Can enroll

Can enroll 

Students currently in the U.S. with a valid I-20 or DS-2019

Students currently in the U.S. with a valid I-20 or DS-2019

If you are currently in legal F-1 status, and do not plan to return to your home country before beginning classes at The Chicago School of Professional Psychology (TCS), you should plan to have your SEVIS record transferred to TCS from your current institution.

How Do I Transfer My SEVIS Record?

SEVIS transfer form​ ​

To transfer your SEVIS record, please fill out the SEVIS transfer form (above).  After you fill out the form, please give it to your current immigration advisors. After you give it to your current advisor, you will need to request they transfer your SEVIS record and submit the SEVIS transfer form to verify you are in status and eligible for transfer.

Transferring your SEVIS record: When making the request at your current institution, you will need to identify a SEVIS release date. This date must not be any sooner than 5 months prior to the date you are able to start classes at TCS and no later than the first day of International Student Orientation (the required report date at TCS for international students is the first day of orientation).

Students on OPT: If you are currently working on OPT, be advised that once your SEVIS record is released, your OPT is automatically terminated and you are no long authorized to work.

Why Should I Transfer My SEVIS Record?

By properly transferring your SEVIS record, you are able to remain in the United States legally in F-1 status between programs (so long as your can start classes at the next program within 5 months from your release dates). Additionally, with a proper transfer I-20, you can enter the United States on a valid visa from your previous school. You do not need to apply for a new one.

If you do not choose to transfer you SEVIS record or are otherwise ineligible (out of status), you must leave the country and reenter on an initial attendance I-20. Failure to do so will result in you falling out of status. In this case, you must apply for a new F-1 visa to match the I-20 issued by TCS. (For more information about how to apply for an F-1 visa, see https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en.html. You will also need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee again (https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/#/home) since you are receiving a new SEVIS record. Additionally, your F-1 status is reset and you are again subject to the required waiting period for certain benefits such as Optional Practical Training (OPT). It is important, therefore, for you to clearly communicate your intentions to the Office of International Services at TCS.

After your SEVIS Record Has Been Transferred

Your Chicago School I-20 will be issued to you when your SEVIS record is released and you have reported to the Office of International Student Services.  If you need your I-20 prior to the start of classes (e.g. if you plan to travel internationally before you begin your studies), please contact an immigration advisor at your campus. It is pertinent that you check in to the Office of International Services at International Student Orientation or before classes begin. If you are unable to do so, you should inform immigration advisor​.

Lastly, it is essential that you attend the international student orientation. Attendance is required of all F-1 students, including transfer students. Staff will address immigration regulations, school policies and procedures and cultural adjustment issues. The legal responsibility to adhere to all United States immigration regulations falls upon your shoulders; consequently, it is important you do not miss international student orientation!