Transfer to The Chicago School

Students currently in the U.S. with a valid I-20 or DS-2019 

​If you are currently in legal F-1/J-1 status and do not plan to return to your home country before beginning classes at The Chicago School, you should plan to have your SEVIS record transferred to us from your current institution.  

How Do I Transfer My SEVIS Record? 

To transfer your SEVIS record, please submit all the required documentation to The Chicago School and request your current DSO to release your SEVIS record to The Chicago School. Please keep in mind that The Chicago School only accepts ACTIVE SEVIS records. If your SEVIS record is in Completed or Terminated status, you cannot transfer your record to The Chicago School. Please notify your DSO and verify your status in SEVIS.

Transferring your SEVIS record: When making the request at your current institution, you will need to identify a SEVIS release date. This date must not be any sooner than 5 months prior to the date you are able to start classes at The Chicago School and no later than the first day of International Student Orientation (the required report date at The Chicago School for international students is the first day of orientation).  

**Note If you are currently working on Optional Practical Training (OPT), be advised that once y​our SEVIS record is released, your OPT is automatically terminated and you are no long authorized to work. 

Why Should I Transfer My SEVIS Record? 

By properly transferring your SEVIS record, you are able to remain in the United States legally in F-1/J-1 status between programs (so long as you can start classes at the next program within 5 months from your release dates). Additionally, with a proper transfer I-20/DS-2019, you can enter the United States on a valid visa from your previous school. You do not need to apply for a new one.  
If you do not choose to transfer you SEVIS record or are otherwise ineligible (out of status), you must leave the country and reenter on an initial attendance I-20/DS-2019. Failure to do so will result in you falling out of status. In this case, you must apply for a new F-1/J-1 visa to match the I-20/DS2019 issued by The Chicago School. (For more information about how to apply for an F-1/J-1 visa, see the above section - Apply for a U.S. Visa. You will also need to pay the SEVIS I-901 fee again since you are receiving a new SEVIS record. Additionally, your F-1/J-1 status is reset and you are again subject to the required waiting period for certain benefits such as Curriculum Practical Training (CPT) and Optional Practical Training (OPT). It is important, therefore, for you to clearly communicate your intentions to International Programs and Services at The Chicago School.  

After your SEVIS Record Has Been Transferred 

Your Chicago School active I-20/DS-2019 will be issued to you when your SEVIS record is released and you have reported to the International Programs & Services. Please keep in mind that you are still required to provide the Financial Statement before we can issue your new I-20/DS-2019.  If you need your I-20/DS-2019 prior to the start of classes (e.g. if you plan to travel internationally before you begin your studies), please contact your DSO/ARO at your campus. It is pertinent that you check in with IPS at International Student Orientation or before classes begin. If you are unable to do so, you should contact your DSO/ARO. 
Lastly, it is essential that you attend the international student orientation. Attendance is required of all international​students, including transfer students. Staff will address immigration regulations, school policies and procedures and cultural adjustment issues.  

The legal responsibility to adhere to all United States immigration regulations falls upon your shoulders; consequently, it is important you do not miss international student orientation!​ ​

Contact Us

Office of Global Engagement
​(800) 595-6938​​, Option 6