Military Educational Benefits

The Chicago School is proud to provide support for military educational benefits at all locations.    

The three main programs are:

  • Veterans Affairs Educational Benefit Programs
  • Tuition Assistance Programs
  • Military and Veteran Tuition Rate

These programs are meant to be used in conjunction with Federal Student Aid to cover the cost of your tuition and fees. 

If you are affiliated with the military, it is imperative that you communicate with the VA or your branch of the military to understand how to maximize the use of your benefits. In addition, please be aware of our processes and procedures for handling your educational benefits as you plan to cover your tuition and fees.

 Veterans Affairs Benefits


The Chicago School currently certifies the following VA educational benefit programs (subject to change):

Post-9/11 GI Bill® (Ch.33). The Chicago School also participates in the Yellow Ribbon Program​, an extension of the Post-9/11 GI Bill®. Eligible students are encouraged to complete the Yellow Ribbon Program Application

Montgomery GI Billl® – Active Duty (Chapter 30)
The MGIB program provides up to 36 months of education benefits to those who have served on active duty.

Montgomery GI Bill® – Selected Reserve (Chapter 1606)
The MGIB-SR program may be available to you if you are a member of the Selected Reserve.

Reserve Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 1607)
Education benefit program is designed to provide educational assistance to members of the Reserve components called or ordered to active duty in response to a war or national emergency.

Dependents' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 35)
DEA provides education and training opportunities to eligible dependents of veterans who are permanently and totally disabled due to a service-related condition, or who died while on active duty or as a result of a service related condition.

Veterans' Educational Assistance Program (Chapter 32)
VEAP is available if you first entered active duty between January 1, 1977 and June 30, 1985 and you elected to make contributions from your military pay to participate in this education benefit program.

Vocational Rehabilitation (Chapter 31)
If you are interested or want to know your eligibility.

*GI Bill® is a registered trademark of the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs (VA).

How to Receive VA Benefits
  1. Determine eligibility. Contact the Department of Veterans Affairs at 1-888-GIBILL1(442-4551) information is also available on the GI Bill website. The Education Case Manager will assist you in finding out for which programs you are eligible. The programs change frequently; therefore it is best to contact them directly. The Chicago School does not determine eligibility for students. Once approved, you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from the VA.
  2. Apply for Benefits. The Education Case Manager will let you know which forms you need to complete for your program or if you can, use the benefits website.
  3. The Chicago School cannot certify your enrollment unless you are registered.
  4. Submit your Certificate of Eligibility and Enrollment Certification Request Form (writable).pdf to Student Accounts department (if using TA benefits, see below).
  5. Receive payment. Follow the instructions of your program in order to receive payment. Please note: The Chicago School does not process advance payments. ​​

 Tuition Assistance Benefits


Tuition Assistance Programs are offered by the Armed Forces to eligible members of the Army, Navy, Marines, Air Force, and Coast Guard. Please contact your branch of the armed forces to determine your eligibility and application process.

How to receive TA benefits

  1. Follow the instructions of your military branch to complete a TA voucher.
  2. Submit your TA voucher to the Student Accounts Office for processing.
  3. Tuition assistance forms must be received prior to the term start date.
  4. Submit payment for any outstanding balance
  5. Once The Chicago School receives the payment it will be applied to your student account. If a refund is due to you then it will be scheduled and you will be notified.
  6. Following the completion of your course, request an unofficial transcript or grade report from the Office of Student Services and submit to your grades based on your benefit’s procedures.

What is “Top-Up?”
Top Up is an additional benefit to supplement the tuition assistance programs. To be eligible for the Top-Up benefit, you must be approved for federal Tuition Assistance by a military branch and be eligible for MGIB-Active Duty benefits. Contact the VA to confirm your eligibility, submit your TA (see above) and complete the Enrollment Certification Form 

Student Responsibilities

  • Students are expected to update Student Accounts if any of the information on their VA Enrollment Certification form changes.
  • Students are expected to inform the VA Certifying Official when they add or drop courses, change their program, or change their address.
  • Students are responsible for payment of any remaining balances.

 Military and Veteran Tuition Rate

Active-duty servicemembers: must submit a copy of the most recent leave and earnings statement along with a completed Military and Veteran Tuition Rate Application before the start of the semester. The military tuition rate is applied to future terms only and is not retroactive for current or prior terms.

Veterans: must submit a copy of the Veteran’s DD214 along with a completed Military and Veteran Tuition Rate Application before the start of the semester. The veteran tuition rate is applied to future terms only and is not retroactive for current or prior terms.

A student utilizing the GI Bill® must work closely with School Certifying Officials to make sure that all necessary documents are on file prior to the certification of enrollment with the Veterans Administration. The Chicago School will certify enrollment each term unless otherwise notified.

The Military and Veteran Tuition Rate cannot be combined with other special tuition rates. Information on the Military and Veteran Tuition Rate is available from the Office of Student Accounts at 1-800-595-6938, option 2, 3.

Military and Veteran Tuition Rate Application

 Frequently Asked Questions


Am I eligible for more than one educational benefit?
Working with the VA and the Education Service center for your branch of the military will help you determine which benefits to use when.

Will I be certified as a half or full-time student?
See the “Full and Part-time Enrollment Status” section of the Student Handbook. To determine your status, look up your program name know the number of credits you are registered for each session (online-blended programs) or semester (on-campus programs).

When will certifications of enrollment be submitted to the VA?
Enrollment certifications are performed after the add/drop deadline of each session (online-blended programs) or semester (on-campus programs). For a list of add/drop deadlines, consult the Acade​mic Calendar. Students will be notified via email from the VA when enrollment certifications are entered.

Will I receive benefits during the summer session or between the holidays?
Contact the VA to determine your eligibility to receive benefits during official school breaks, and inform Student Accounts if additional paperwork is required.

How long does it take to process my certification paperwork?
Your enrollment certification will be submitted in VA Once upon completion of the add/drop deadline. The volume of documentation they process is large and it can take up to six to eight weeks to process any new certifications that we send from our office. It is imperative that you send your Enrollment Certification Request form prior to this time in order to ensure a timely payment.

Am I eligible for the Illinois Veterans’ Grant
The Illinois Veteran’s Grant (IVG) is not available for students at The Chicago School because the school is a private institution. Currently, this grant is only available to students attending Illinois public universities.

 Contact Us


Military Benefits
Send a copy of your Certificate of Eligibility and a completed Enrollment Certification Request Form to [email protected].

TCS Education System
Attn: Office of Student Accounts
203 N. LaSalle, Suite 1900, Chicago, IL 60601
Phone: 800-595-6938 option 2, 3
Fax: 312.488.6336
[email protected]

Contact the VA to obtain your Certificate of Eligibility or to ask the following questions:

  • What benefits am I eligible for?
  • When will I receive my benefits payments?
  • What is the amount of my benefits?

VA Education Call Center 
Toll-free number: 888.442.4551 
Websites:  ​