1098T Form Request 

Form 1098T is issued to domestic students and ELIGIBLE international students only.  In order to  be eligible, you must have obtained a U.S. Social Security Number (SSN), which you can apply for after you get an On-Campus employment, employment for Practicum/Internship, or when you apply for OPT.  The Form 1098T is generated once a ​​year. To allow the system to generate the form, you must have your SSN updated in our school's system.  

If you do have a SSN and think that your family needs this form for tax purpose, please follow the instruction below very closely and send the completed paperwork to your Student Support Counselor (SSC) by October 31 each year for the same year's Tuition Statement (1098T). 

  • Make sure to check the box under Social Security Number "Check this box if  you are an International Student and wish to receive a 1098T tax form. You must also provide your SSN or ITIN."        
  • Email a copy of your SSN Card and this form to your Student Support​ Cou​nselor (SSC). 

Please keep in mind that having a SSN does NOT automatically make you eligible for Form 1098T. You must submit all the required documents above to allow the system update your status for 1098T.

Sprintax Software for International Students

The Chicago School has teamed up with Sprintax to provide you with an easy-to-use tax preparation software designed for nonresident students and scholars in the US. The first 25​ users will have free access (first come, first serve) to SprinTax Tax Preparation Online with your The Chicago School credentials. We (and all other university staff) are not qualified or allowed to provide individual tax advice.

And even if you did not work or receive income in the US, you're still obliged to file a Form 8843 with the IRS.

All you need to do is:

1.     Register and follow the simple instructions

2.     Complete the online questionnaire

3.     Enter your unique code: 23TCS25F  (first 25​​ The Chicago School International Students using The Chicago School credentials) in the box on the 'Review your order' page

4.     Sprintax will prepare your tax return 

Tax Residency Test: Who is considered Resident or Nonresident for Federal Tax Purposes:

Generally, most international students & scholars who are on FJM or Q visas are considered nonresidents for tax purposes. International undergraduate students on J-1 & F-1 visas are automatically considered nonresident for their first five calendar years in the US, whilst Scholars/Researchers on J visas are automatically considered nonresidents for two out of the last six calendar years in the US. If you've been in the US for longer than the five or two year periods, the Substantial Presence Test will determine your tax residency. 

Sprintax is now live for Federal E-Filing! Highly recommended for accurate filing and faster refund if you are eligible.

This means that nonresidents in the US can now file their Federal tax return electronically from the comfort of their own home – even if their home is now outside of the US! To find out more about E-Filing, we have prepared this ove​rview for those who are eligible under the IRS rules and those that are not. ​​

Please make sure to read the overview thoroughly. There are some circumstances and if you received some additional forms that make you ineligible to file electronically. Please be aware of that State Tax still needs to be filed in paper once you complete in the system and it costs extra.

Please review the instructions​ and collect all documents before you start.​

Get St​arted

International Student Tax Webinar Recording -2022 Tax Year

Still want to file in paper? It is OK. Please follow the instructions below.

After you login to Sprintax, you will be asked a series of questions about the time you have spent in the US over recent years. Sprintax will then determine your tax status. If it determines that you are a "nonresident alien" (NRA) for federal tax purposes, you can continue to use the software to respond to a series of guided questions. Sprintax will then complete and generate the tax forms you need to send to the tax authorities. 

However, if Sprintax determines that you are a resident alien for federal tax purposes, you won't be able to continue using the software.​

Step by Step guide on How to File Your Nonresident Tax Forms (F and J)

1) Gather the documents you may need for Sprintax


Visa/Immigration information, including form I-20 (F status) or form DS-2019 (J status)
Social Security or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (if you have one)This is not needed if you had no income and the 8843 is the only form you have to file.
✔*W-2This form reports your wage earnings if you worked. If you had more than one employer you should get a W-2 from each employer. It is issued by the end of January for the previous year. Make sure all employers from last year have an up-to-date address for you. 

This form is used to report:

  1. stipend, scholarship, fellowship income and travel grants (not tuition reduction or exemption)
  2. income covered by a tax treaty
  3. payment for other types of services (eg by the semester as a note-taker)

If you received this type of income, the 1042-S will be mailed to you by 15 March by the payer. 

Note: Only Nonresident Aliens receive this form. If your tax status changes to a Resident Alien you will not get a 1042-S. Login to Sprintax to check your tax status if you're not sure.

US entry and exit dates for current and past visits to the USIn addition to passport stamps, you can review or print your US travel history here
✔*1099This form reports miscellaneous income. Can be interest on bank accounts, stocks, bonds, dividends, earning through freelance employment
1098-TThis form is NOT needed and can NOT be used for a nonresident tax return because NRAs are not eligible to claim education expense tax credits.

2)     Create a Sprintax Account:

You will receive an email from the international student office providing you with a link to Sprintax to set up your account as well as your unique code to use on SprintaxThis unique code will cover the costs of the federal tax return and 8843 at no cost to you. Open your new Sprintax account by creating a UserID and password or if you have an existing account on Sprintax you can login using your existing credentials.

3)     Follow the Sprintax instructions

If you did not earn any US Income: Sprintax will generate a completed Form 8843 for you and each of your dependents (if you have any).

If you did earn US Income: Sprintax will generate your "tax return documents", including either a 1040NR-EZ or a longer form 1040NR, depending on your circumstances. 

4)     (With U.S. income only) If required, complete your state tax return

After you finish your federal return, Sprintax will inform you if you need to complete a state tax return. If so, you will have the option to use Sprintax for an additonal fee. However, it is your choice to use them or to do the state tax return on your own.

5)     Read the instructions for filing/mailing your returns

Remember to read the instructions that Sprintax provides. 

You will be required to download, print and sign your federal tax return and mail it to the IRS. If you have a state filing requirement, you must also mail this to the tax authorities. 

Finally, if you only need to file Form 8843, this will also need to be mailed to the IRS.

Need Sprintax Support?

If you need help while using Sprintax, you can contact their support team using the options below

Email - [email protected]

24/7 Live Chat Help

Refer to their FAQs

 Sprintax Educational Tax Videos and Blog:

You also have access to the Sprintax YouTube account​ where there are a number of educational videos on nonresident taxes. These will provide further clarity on nonresident tax and how to use Sprintax. Sprintax also offer a range of useful content on their blog to help you file your return.

DISCLAIMER: International Student & Scholar Services (ISSS) and the school are NOT permitted to assist any student/scholar with any IRS tax form preparation or tax related questions. The information provided is intended for your benefit. Any questions or concerns should be directed to Sprintax, a certified tax preparer or a local IRS field office.​

International Student Tax Webinar - 2023​​ Tax Year

The Chicago School​'s contracted tax service provider, Sprintax, offers a series of webinars during the tax season every year. Please look out to the webinar announcement on the monthly newsletters and email updates. 

Tax Information: Guidance for international students about filing U.S. taxes 


As non-immigrants in the United States, international students are subject to special rules with respect to the taxation of their income. While you are in the United States, you are required to report any taxable income you receive by filing the appropriate​ federal and state tax returns. In some cases, taxable income may include fellowship and scholarships. 

What is Income Tax? 
Income tax is taxes on the income that you have received in one fiscal year, which is January 1st to December 31st. Taxes from one fiscal year can be filed between January 15th and April 15th of the next fiscal year. 

Do I Need to File Taxes? 
As an international student with an F or J visa, the first step in determining whether you are required to file an income tax return is to determine your tax filing status. Most international students present in United States for less than 5 years are considered Nonresident Aliens for tax purposes. Most international students on F, J, M, and Q visas present in United States for more than 5 years and teachers, researchers and professors present in U.S. for more than 2 years can be considered Resident Aliens for tax purposes. 

What Forms do I File? 
All international students who are non residents for tax purposes must file Form 8843 - Statement for Exempt Individuals and Individuals With a Medical Condition, regardless of whether you earned any income. If you earned income in the United States and are a nonresident for tax purposes, you will also need to file Form 1040NR or 1040NR-EZ and the appropriate state tax forms. If you determine that you are considered a resident for tax purposes, you must file Form1040, 1040EZ or 1040A, and the required state tax forms. 

What is an ITIN? 
ITIN stands for Individual Taxpayer Identification Number and is an identification number issued by the Internal Revenue Service to people​who are required to have a U.S. taxpayer ID#, but are not eligible for a Social Security Number. ITIN is used for federal tax reporting ONLY. It does NOT have the same functions as a SSN. To learn more and how to apply for an ITIN, click here​.  
For more information visit: http://www.irs.gov/individuals/index.html, scroll down and click on "Individual Tax Identification Number. 

Tax Resources and Reference Materials  
For guidance about who​ is required to file taxes and how to file taxes, please go to the IRS webpage for more  details,  ​https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpaye​rs/foreign-students-and-scholars​ ​